COVID19 HR FAQ for Employees

COVID19 HR FAQ for Employees
Updated 14 April 2020

This information is correct as at 14 April 2020 but the situation is changing rapidly and we will do our best to keep this updated.

I have a high temperature and/or cough what should I do as I really need to go to work?

If you have symptoms of coronavirus, you’ll need to stay at home for 7 days.

After 7 days:

  • if you do not have a high temperature, you do not need to stay at home
  • if you still have a high temperature, stay at home until your temperature returns to normal

You do not need to stay at home if you just have a cough after 7 days. A cough can last for several weeks after the infection has gone.

Someone I live with is displaying symptoms of COVID19 what do I do?

You should contact your employer and advise them as you will need to self isolate for a period of 14 days even if you yourself are not displaying symptoms.  If you develop symptoms during this 14 day period you need to self isolate for 7 days from the start of your symptoms.

If I’m self isolating can I do work?

Yes if you are well enough and can work from home.  You need to speak to your employer If you work from home you will receive your full salary, assuming you work your full contracted hours.

If I am ill with COVID19 symptoms and can’t work do I get paid.

You will be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from Day 1 of being ill assuming you qualify under the Regulations governing SSP.

How much is SSP?

SSP is currently £94.25 per week.

What if I can’t live off SSP as I have a family?

You should contact your local benefits office to see what other support you can get.

My kids’ school is shut how am I expected to work?

If you are a key worker or your children are classed as vulnerable then they can go to school  (your school should have advised you of this).  If not, then you will need to discuss options with your employer.   Examples might include – working from home, flexible hours, reducing hours etc.

I can’t do my job from home so will I get paid if I don’t go in?

Sadly not.  You might like to consider whether you can get help with your childcare from your Partner if you have one, friends or family  (although not those in the vulnerable category) so that you can go into work.   You could also consider taking paid annual holiday for a period of time if your employer can accommodate this. You could speak to your employer about the possibility of having your role placed on furlough if you have no work to do, this would mean you would receive 80% of your salary but would not undertake any duties for the company.

I’m on a zero hours contract so won’t get paid what do I do?

If you are on a contract and paid through PAYE,  your employer may place you on furlough and pay you 80% of your average basic earnings over the last 12 month period (up to a maximum of £2,500 per month).   In addition, you need to contact your local benefits office to see what financial support you can get.

My boss said he doesn’t have any work for me as the business is quiet or shut – what do I do?

Your employer may speak to you about furloughing which is under the government’s Job Retention Scheme which was announced last month.    Under this scheme you would remain an employee of your Company and receive 80% of your salary (capped at £2,500) per month.

I would like to be furloughed but my employer won’t do this, can I make them?

No, if your employer has work for you then they will not be speaking to you about furloughing.  This scheme is open for employers who have had to close down their premises as a result of COVID19 or have insufficient work for their staff.

My partner has lost their job and I can’t live off what I am earning what do I do?

You should contact your local benefits office to see what financial support is available to you.

My employer is asking me all sorts of questions about whether I would reduce my hours or take annual holiday as things are quiet at the moment.  Are they allowed to do this?

It would appear that your employer is considering options and trying their best to protect jobs.    You need to consider your own personal situation as to whether working reduced hours and receiving reduced pay is better than being furloughed or not earning at all.

I am self employed and am not earning right now as my business is closed – what do I do?

You should look on the government’s website or the Haslers’ website as a number of initiatives and loans have been made available to self employed and business owners.

These questions give outline guidance but if you have specific questions please contact our HR team on 020 8418 3333 or e-mail your query to 

Please note there will be a flat charge of £50 per call/e-mail.  Where more complex advice is needed, fees will be discussed with you.

We are unable to give advice on what benefits you might be entitled to –  you need to contact the Benefits office for that as it will vary according to your circumstances. 

Follow Haslers on Facebook for all our latest updates. 

COVID19 HR FAQ for Employees

COVID19 HR FAQ for Employees : Updated 14 April 2020