Funding outside the GAG
Academies typically receive other revenue funding that is not as part of your GAG. Some non-GAG funding has not been confirmed for 2022 to 2023.
The ESFA has said that further updates will follow but grants confirmed so far include:
- Early years funding – this is paid by the local authority to academies with a nursery class through the early years national funding formula (EYNFF)
- Pupil premium – paid in 4 instalments by the ESFA. Allocations for the 2022 to 2023 financial year will be published in due course
- Universal infant free school meals (UIFSM) – this is paid in instalments by ESFA to academies with infant classes
- High needs top up funding – this is paid by the local authority where required
- Schools supplementary grant – paid by the ESFA
- capital funding – paid by the ESFA.
Risk protection arrangement
The risk protection arrangement (RPA) is an alternative to commercial insurance for academies and local authority-maintained schools (LAMS). Under RPA, the Government covers the losses instead of commercial insurance.
Schools converting to academy status will be signed up automatically to the RPA scheme, irrespective of if they are a member of the LAMS RPA scheme.
However, if the school does not wish to join the RPA scheme, they may choose to opt out.
For help and support with all aspects of academy conversion and funding allocation estimates, please get in touch with our expert education team.