If you and your employee both agree, you might be able to keep your staff on the payroll if they’re unable to operate or have no work to do because of COVID-19.
Under the government’s Job Retention Scheme, you could pay 80% of your employees’ wages up to a monthly cap of £2,500 and ‘furlough’ your staff and possibly claim this back from the government.
For you as an employer this avoid you having to incur the cost of making staff redundant at the present time and means that staff will be available to come back to work as and when you have work for them.
The details of the Scheme are quite complex but:-
Haslers HR can assist you through this and help with the following questions
- Who qualifies for the Scheme
- What you will need to pay
- How and when can you claim the grant from the government
- What does furloughing mean
- What can staff do whilst they are furloughed
- Do part time and agency workers qualify
- What about staff on maternity leave
- If your staff do not want to go on furlough
- Changes to employee contracts
If you think ‘Furlough’ could be an option for your company as you have no work for your staff, it’s important that you understand the scheme. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options further.
Is the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme right for your company?