Charities operate within a complex and robust regulatory regime. At the same time, they need to maximise value from every penny of income they receive.
Achieving tax efficiency, while maintaining compliance at all times, can make a significant difference to the financial health of a charity or other not-for-profit organisation, enabling it to increase funds available for its core work.
At Haslers, we advise a number of charities, along with a number of other not-for-profit bodies including churches and synagogues, community groups, members’ associations, private members’ clubs, registered social landlords, independent schools and pre-schools and YMCAs.
Whether we are assisting with tax returns, Gift Aid record keeping or with pre-planning for a fundraising event or significant property transaction, we can ensure that any risks are identified and resolved and tax advantages are maximised, to create valuable savings.
By working with us, charities will be able to build tax efficiency and planning into their long-term strategy for taking their organisations forward as we use our knowledge of this specialist sector and our tax expertise to provide proactive and effective advice.
The support Haslers provides
Our dedicated Tax Consultancy team provides comprehensive tax expertise to support charities to meet their compliance requirements while operating tax efficiently.
Some of the key issues we deal with for charity clients are listed below, but we can offer support and guidance on all aspects of tax.
- Tax-efficient fundraising – including Gift Aid and sponsorship income
- Trading reliefs – advice on tax exemptions, including fundraising events and lotteries
- Trading subsidiaries – advice on the operation of non-charitable trading companies
- Capital allowances – advice on claims for investment in equipment and building work
- VAT – specialist advisory services on all aspects of VAT compliance and planning, including in relation to fundraising events and special reliefs for charities
- Charity collaborations and mergers – assistance with relevant tax issues
- Investment income and tax exemptions
- Tax-efficient remuneration options
Our tax specialists offer comprehensive expertise and experience that enable our clients to deal effectively with current tax issues and plan ahead to maximise tax efficiency. To find out what we can do for you and your business, contact Jon O’Shea, Paul Reynolds, Debra Dougal or Laura Ambrose.