HMRC tax investigations
Taxes are a fact of life. It is also a fact that no matter how careful your accounting may be, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) can select you for a random investigation of your personal or business tax return, without having to tell you why.
With the government committed to tackling tax avoidance and tax evasion, more and more people are likely to be the focus of specific tax campaigns.
If you become the focus of HMRC attention, it makes sense to seek expert advice at an early stage.
At Haslers, our tax experts have a detailed understanding of tax legislation, compliance issues and HMRC procedures, as well as the approach necessary to deal with tax investigations and enquiries in the most constructive way.
We understand the stresses an investigation can create so our focus is to achieve the best possible outcome for you, as quickly as possible, through robust representation and negotiation with a view to minimising HMRC claims for any tax and penalties necessary.
The cost of a taxation investigation can be high and it may be tempting to settle with HMRC rather than fight your corner, even if you believe you have a good case.
We also offer protection against the costs of a tax enquiry, to take care of our fees and give you real peace of mind that if you become the focus of an enquiry, you will be able to concentrate on your day-to-day business and personal life while we work to bring the matter to a speedy and satisfactory conclusion.
We can assist with issues including:
- managing tax risks
- all types of tax enquiries and investigations, including PAYE, self assessment, national insurance, VAT and the Special Compliance Office
- advice on HMRC powers to demand documentation and information
- negotiating with HMRC on your behalf, to ensure the best possible outcome to any tax disputes, appeals and tribunals
- specialist investigations cases, including tax avoidance and fraud
- VAT investigations
- due diligence reviews and health checks
- defence advisory services in tax prosecutions
- protection against the costs of a tax enquiry.
For more information on our HMRC tax investigation services in East London and Essex, please contact us.